Monday, January 16, 2012

Long Reaching and Possibly Ridiculous Career Aspirations

Dude, I had so much fun today. It's odd, because I don't see my Dad much. In fact, as far as I can recall, today was the first time I've seen him for more than 5 minutes in the last year.

Before I get started, I am currently listening to "Unholy Confessions" by Avenged Sevenfold, and will be turning on "Chapter Four" afterwards, also by A7X. It's not their most technically accomplished song, but I really love the chorus. Come on, how could something that ends with "I know it's hurting you, but it's killing me" be any short of heartfelt? If it isn't apparent yet, I judge songs by how emotionally meaningful they are, which is half of the reason I wish for the end of dubstep. I really loathe dubstep.

Anyways, I think I've found something I want to do with my life. It's taken a long time, but I feel good about this. Today, I went to a college hockey game with my brother and my Dad, and realized that I was surrounded by 23,000 other hockey fans. A lot were there due to collegiate allegiances, but most of them were there because they legitimately enjoy hockey. Despite his many faults, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has helped to grow hockey immensely during his tenure, a fact which can't be disputed when considering how many outdoor games are played per season, between pro, college, high school, and amateur leagues. the Winter Classic was arguably the genesis for the immense interest in outdoor play.

As such, I think it would be a great way of spending my life, to help build up a hockey program in a non-traditional market. I've learned a lot from playing hockey, and made some of the best friendships I've got, if not the best friendships I've got, in a few cases. I'll probably teach normal classes, whether history or politics, in order to make money, which is something else I think I'd be good at...I've got a way with words, and I like talking to and helping people. But I think my main passion would be working with hockey. I'm not entirely sure how this would be done, but who knows? Maybe I'm just tired, but it sounds like a good idea to me, right?